A well-known hair stylist in Milan who worked with models developed the WIDU® concept. He was concerned that the constant washing of hair and heat from the photographic lights dried the scalp. As he felt that boar bristle and nylon bristle brushes had the tendency to both scratch the scalp and tear the hair, so he developed the wooden bristles.
The brushes are handmade in Italy by adult native artisans that have perfected their skills over the last thirty years. No child labor is utilized. Our products are of impeccable old world quality and long lasting value unlike many of our imitators.
After an extensive study and research the hard white wood of the hornbeam tree was chosen for the bristles. Horn beam is in the birch family and has a strong resistance to breakage and maintains its exceptional smooth qualities.
The WIDU® Wooden Bristle brush is all-natural. Neither animal by-products nor synthetic materials are used in its manufacture. It is an animal and cruelty-free product. We have discovered that:
1. Wooden bristles gently massage the scalp and move natural oils through the hair. The brushes aid in scalp massage, blood circulation, excess sebum absorption and the removal hair impurities.
2. Massaging the scalp helps promote hair growth and stimulate acupressure points.
3. The combination of wood and natural antistatic rubber helps to prevent flyaway hair.
4. When exposed to a blow dryer, the brush stays cool because wood and rubber do not conduct heat. When hair is wet the wooden bristles glide easily through the tangles.
5. The brushes and combs are naturally hypoallergenic. The comb’s wooden teeth are turned and well finished so they do not tear at the hair. The majority of our brushes and combs are only finished with a protective coating of beeswax or purified linseed oil.
6. Only wood suppliers who agree to a policy of Forest Stewardship Council sustainable forestation are utilized. This also applies to the African wood suppliers.