see an older post about nylon 6 and nylon 4
although designers are doing the very best they can, there is still not a fully degradable bristle apart from the boar-bristle. if there are, can you tell us about it in the comments below?
The Environmental Toothbrush
the honest designer & manufacter (manufactured in china under contract), a dentist from brisbane of “The Environmental Toothbrush” was horrified when he was informed that their bristles were not made from nylon 4 and he let his buyers know that he had been misled.
following is the amended text on his website . . . .
The bristles are made from a BPA FREE polymer resistant to microbial growth during normal use, to ensure safety and durability. We have tried to find a biodegradable bristle but as of this time there is nothing available – apart from boars hair (don’t want to go there). No they are not Nylon 4 (as far as we know there are no bristles made from Nylon 4 on the market today).
We have tried to bring you a toothbrush that is better for the environment- over the years we have been misled by our manufactures about our bristles being made of Nylon 4. We still believe that our toothbrush is a better alternative to a full Plastic toothbrush.
from bogobrush website . . .
We believe the world deserves a toothbrush worth caring about. We believe that starts with knowing where it came from, and how it was made. We believe it grows from an attention to aesthetics that will make you smile, and deepens with the beauty of giving back to someone in need. We believe that what is good for the planet, is good for us. We believe in the little toothbrush that could.
What kind of bristles are in a Bogobrush? Are they soft? Bogobrushes use the highest quality Tynex Nylon bristles from Dupont. They are a “soft” bristle, and are polished with ceramic by our bristling manufacturer for an extra smooth feel.
How long will it take to break down, (i.e. degrade)?
It depends. Maybe a few months, maybe a few years. With any compostable material, the time of degradation depends on the health of the compost pile – humidity, temperature, and bio-diversity, (bugs, microbes, plants, etc. – as well as the size and surface area of the product).
What will it degrade into?
Bogobrush bio-composite handles will degrade into carbon dioxide, water, and humus, (a soil nutrient).
Brush With Bamboo
Features of the Animal Lovers Total Clean Eco Toothbrush
- Designed in conjunction with dental advice.
- Easy-grip ergonomic bamboo biodegradable handle has natural flexibility, absorbing brushing pressure and reducing gum irritation.
- Zig zag bristles with rounded tips for gentle cleaning in-between teeth and along the delicate gum line.
- 30mm tapered head is smaller than regular over-sized toothbrush heads for easy access to those hard-to-reach places.
- Heat treatment carbonizes the bamboo surface for water resistance and prevention of microbe growth (bacteria and moulds) during normal use.
- Attractive, individual packaging made from recycled card makes the toothbrushes a great gift or Christmas stocking stuffer.
- Made with LOVE and recycled yogurt cups
- Handle created with 100% recycled #5 plastic; bristles are new nylon
- Easy-to-grip curved handle
- Tiered bristles for gentle, thorough cleaning
- Includes reusable travel case
- Be sure to learn about our toothbrush recycling program listed below
on a completely different subject …. homemade laundry cleaner